General Motors has announced its second massive recall in two months as it works to contain a growing scandal over the safety of its vehicles.
The latest recall of some 1.5 million vehicles comes as a result of an internal probe into why it took the largest US carmaker so long to recognise a deadly ignition defect.
GM is currently at the centre of multiple investigations by US authorities because it was slow to react to reports linking a defective ignition switch to 31 accidents and 12 deaths in its 2005-7 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2003-7 Saturn Ion models.
The problem was detected as early as 2004, but GM waited until last month to recall 1.62 million vehicles in two stages in North America.
Monday’s recall covered three different defects unrelated to the ignition problems, GM said.
“Today’s announcement underscores the focus we’re putting on the safety and peace of mind of our customers,” GM chief Mary Barra said in a statement.
“I asked our team to redouble our efforts on our pending product reviews, bring them forward and resolve them quickly.”
A defective service air bag warning light accounted for the largest number of vehicles recalled Monday: 1.18 million.
The defect could lead to a failure in the deployment of air bags and seat belts.
That recall affects Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia models from the 2008-2013 model years, Chevrolet Traverse from the 2009-2013 model years, and Saturn Outlook from the 2008-2010 model years.
A failure to comply with a head impact requirement for unrestrained occupants led to the recall of 303,000 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana from the 2009-2014 model years.
A problem with a brake booster pump which can allow for corrosion and has been linked to two engine fires in unsold vehicles at dealerships led to the recall of 63,900 Cadillac XTS full-size sedan from the 2013 and 2014 model years.